REMARKS BY HIS EXCELLENCY PRESIDENT MUHAMMADU BUHARI DURING WOMEN POLITICAL ASPIRANTS SUMMIT ORGANIZED BY NATIONAL COUNCIL FOR WOMEN SOCIETIES (NCWS) WOMEN IN POLITICS FORUM (WIPF) AND NATIONAL CENTER FOR WOMEN DEVELOPMENT (NCWD) IN COLLABORATION WITH OFFICE OF WIFE OF THE PRESIDENT
I am happy to attend this Summit, which signifies the spirit of Nigerian women organized to support women political aspirants in our politics.
2. Women constitute more than 50% of voters and are by experience more than dedicated, more principled than their male counterparts.
3. Politicians rely on women voters because their word is usually their bond, they stand by candidates they believe in, and therefore politicians do a lot to gain their confidence.
4. On this note, let me recall and thank Nigerian women who had the confidence in me and voted for me in 2015. It is my hope that the confidence is still there; seeing this gathering, I am also confident that it remains so.
5. Nigeria is a country of opportunities and possibilities; it is blessed with productive and skilled manpower, coupled with resources still being harnessed. With the right leadership at all levels, appropriate mindset and strong institutions; we can attain very great heights for our people.
6. Let me use this opportunity to state that the challenges we have witnessed since 2015 have given way to dividends, which can only increase considerably and translate to better infrastructure, more jobs and more food on the tables of Nigerians.
7. A few months ago, I met with female parliamentarians and they raised issues concerning the passage of Gender and Equal Opportunity Bill now before the National Assembly and implementation of 35% affirmative action, among others. I am happy to say that I am in support of both because these measures will improve the representation of women in our politics.
8. Let me add my voice on the call on women to contest for political offices and effect the changes they want to see. I am confident that women can make great leaders and move the nation forward.
9. Finally, I am also calling on all political parties to create the needed enabling environment whereby women will have a free and fair playing ground to contest elective positions and generally to participate in our political process.
Thank you and please enjoy fruitful deliberations.